Monday, August 6, 2012

Word Work Centers

Here are some word work centers that I have created for my class. I got many of these ideas from 3rd Grades A Hoot and just put my own twist on them. 

This is a picture of all the centers. They are not all complete in this picture but I will go into detail for each center.

Scrabble It!- Basically, the students will use the scrabble letters to spell their vocabulary and spelling words. They will earn points for the words that they spell and received prizes for reaching a certain amount of points. For this center I downloaded the scrabble font (just Google scrabble font and there are a lot of links you can get it from) then I printed and laminated the letters. If you would like the directions and scrabble tiles click the following links:  Scrabble It! Tiles          Scrabble It! Directions/Record Sheet
                                                                                                                                         
Shake It!- Shake It! is another center where the students will earn prizes for words. Each container has 100 words from the Fry's word lists. I used the 2nd and 3rd lists only but I plan on making more. Each container also has about 30 fake words that look like scrambles of symbols. The students will shake the container, reach inside, and pick a pom pom. If they found a real word then they will write it on their sheet. When they find all 100 words in the container they will receive a prize. I got the pom poms and containers from the dollar store. I printed the words, laminated them, and glued them to the pom poms. Here are the links for this center: Shake It! Directions and Record Sheet

Match It! and Sort It!- This is a language center that I got from Lakeshore. I just separated the activities based upon if the kids were supposed to match or sort items. I also created directions for these if you happen to want or have this center. Match It! Directions          Sort It! Directions

Stamp It!- Stamp it should be a lot of fun for the students. I bought these stamp sets at Lakeshore but they can be found for cheaper on Oriental Trading. I found some stamp pads also at Walmart for only 88 cents. I am going to have the students stamp their spelling and vocabulary words on a paper in their binder. They can also create word collages to display in the classroom using construction paper. The students also have to write the words that they stamp to keep track of their work in their binder.  Stamp It! Directions

Tile It!- Very simple! I found these tiles at Lakeshore for 2.99 a pack. The students will use these to spell out their words and record them in their binder. Tile It! Directions

This picture shows three different centers.

Stick It!- I bought magnetic letters from Lakeshore and put them in containers. I put 1 pack of uppercase and 2 packs of lowercase letters in each container. I bought some small magnetic boards so the students can use this center on the floor or at their desk. The students will also record the words they create in their binder. Stick It! Directions 

Graph It!- I have chosen a few types of graphic organizers that the students can use to practice their spelling and vocabulary words. The students can use the bubble map, double bubble map, vocabulary cards, branching diagram, or the cognitive dictionary. Graph It! Directions

Type It!- Type it will probably be the most popular. Although you do not see it in the picture. I have taken old computer keyboards and made the keys look pretty. The students will type their spelling and vocabulary words and record the words they type in their binder journal. Type It! Directions

This picture shows the word work record sheet in which the students will keep track of the centers they have visited. I want the students to experience all the centers so I am limiting them to 2 times per center until this sheet is filled. Then they start over. I have linked all of my record sheets and labels below if you want to use them.

Hope this is helpful for those wanting ideas for their word work centers and also check out 3rd Grade's A Hoot. There are many more ideas where these came from.

Word Work Record Sheet
Word Work Directions and Printables
Word Work Labels
Word Work Labels 2
Word Work Labels 3
Word Work and Word Box Labels






No comments:

Post a Comment